Celestun Biosphere Reserve is a wetland reserve that is the winter home to vast flocks of flamingos, as well as many herons and other bird species. This location is set within the Petenes mangroves ecoregion. In addition, more than 200 species of birds pass through on migration, or live there.
Contact us to Package and Design your Retreats
Celestun Biosphere Reserve is located in the northwestern part of the Yucatan Peninsula. Because of its importance as the main feeding area for the American Pink Flamingo and countless species of waterfowl and shorebirds, in 1989 the Mexican government named Celestun a Special Biosphere Reserve.
Celestun Biosphere Reserve is the home of: Pink Flamingos, Reptiles, Spider monkeys, Birds, Jaguars, Anteaters, Raccoons, Sea Turtles, Ocelots and Coatis.
From the 8 species of turtles surviving in the world, 7 exist in Mexico and 4 nest along the coasts of the Yucatan Peninsula. The turtles spend their whole life in the water except for the brief moments when the females come ashore to nest and lay their eggs. The female sea turtle arrives ashore at night to her nesting beach at Hotel Xixim in the months of April, May, June or July.
Xixim Unique Mayan Hotel
Xixim suites are attractively furnished and designed to harmonize with the surrounding nature, providing romance and intimacy in luxurious spaces. Every Mayan suite bungalow has a private terrace with thatched roof, and an amazing panoramic view of the emerald sea. Our 32 individual Mayan suite bungalows (24 Junior Suites and 8 Master Suites) can accommodate up to 64 people on a double basis, up to 88 on a triple basis.
For ecological reasons the suites are not equipped with air conditioning. Instead, two ceiling fans, a well-designed air circulation system and the Mayan technology, “la palapa” (high thatched roof), will provide you enough refreshing ventilation.
SUSTAINABILITY AND ECOLOGICAL PRACTICES
Xixim is proud to have a beautiful, secluded virgin beach for your enjoyment. Its richness in shells, conchs and other rarities from the sea, make it unique. You will be able to enjoy more than 3 miles of virgin white sand beach, while watching the coastal birds feeding in the sea.
Xixim’s facilities have been designed according to strict ecological standards that contribute to the preservation of this special biological reserve. Xixim’s commitment to nature is focus on recycling, sustainability goals and operations.
Xixim’s dishes are based on healthy Yucatecan Mayan cuisine that will nourish and delight. You will discover Xixim’s Organic garden – ecologically friendly agriculture used for the meals and beverages that also reflects on their unique, magical and excellence in attitude and services.
RETREAT & WELLNESS FACILITIES
- Yoga pavilion (43 feet in diameter) with wooden floor under a beautiful circular palapa; capacity for 25-30 people with props
- Group pavilion space for Tai Chi, Pilates, dance, drumming, and other group activities with ceiling fans, electrical connections
- Group workshop capacity for up to 80 people seated class room style, electrical connections, and a/v equipment
- Additional sunrise and sunset-facing outdoor terraces for outdoor yoga practice and meditation
- Circular wellness pool with round Jacuzzi and deeply relaxing oval poolside beds; healthy snack bar with vegetarian options
- Juice therapy, based on organic fruit and vegetable combinations, enjoyed in a harmonic circular thatched palapa
- SPA bungalows with privacy screens open to the sea for healing massage, aromatherapy and other treatments
- Fitness gym immersed in tropical vegetation, with specialized cardio, strength-building and balance equipment
- Additional group facilities for 16-20 for workshops or meetings; second yoga practice area for groups of 25-30
GETTING TO XIXIM
The nearest international airport is in Merida City (MID). There are several flights arriving from Mexico City (and other parts of Mexico) and Houston to Merida City. Hotel Xixim is about 62 miles (100 kilometers) from Merida, approximately 1 hour by car.
YOUR BE A CONSCIOUS TRAVELER SPECIALIZED RETREAT PACKAGE INCLUDES
Junior Suite or Master Suite/Double or Single Occupancy + All Organic Meals + Private Transportation (Merida airport-Xixim-Merida airport) + Pink Flamingo Eco Tour + taxes and gratuity.
- Accommodations – Junior Suite or Master Suite
- All organic meals included (beside lobster and alcoholic drinks)
- Transfers to and from the airport (on arrival and departure days established time only)
- Flamingo Ecotour
- Fully equipped Yoga Room (props/sarapes/mats)
- Evening fire pit and unlimited stargazing
- Bikes and Kayaks
Climate: Warm and semi arid. The annual average temperature is 26.5 ºC (80 ºF), the hottest month being May with an average 29 ºC (84 ºF) and the coolest, January, with 23 ºC (73 ºF). The annual precipitation goes up to 777 mm (30 inches). The highest monthly average rainfall is in September with 166 mm (6.5 inches) and the lowest in March with 5.2 mm (0.2 inches). More than 80% of the precipitation occurs during the months of June to September.
Contact us to Package and Design your Celestun Retreats and Adventures
For all inquiries please contact us at: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org